Monetize the Hobby

Monetize the Hobby

Friday, October 26, 2012

E.T ( Atari 2600 )

As a infant in the 80's, E.T. was a HUGE part of my life. It was the first, second, & third film I saw in a theater. It made Reese's Pieces my favourite sweet. It forced me to ride my Star Wars Huffy off of small ledges in hopes of flying my overweight silhouette in front of the moon. Possibly the greatest of all, it took away all fear of aliens I may have had. You could imagine my excitement when my sister came home with this game, his face lit up like they was my age, & led me by the hand to the beloved Atari 2600.

The point of this game is to find pieces of your ship in order to get home. The pieces can be present in what can only be described as pits that ET falls in to periodically. I have never made it out of the first pit. It is been rumoured that there's five levels of  identical game play. I have heard there's also enemies, & that eating Elliott gives you power upsâ ¦I have seen none of these things. I start the game, fall in a hole, & never get out.

This game single-handedly destroyed Atari & its legacy. They had produced so lots of cartridges of this game that were never sold they actually had to buy land in New Mexico & generate an E.T. landfill in the desert, ouch. They tried to follow on the coat tails of Tron & capitalize on the E.T. brand, but all they ended up doing was beginning a long custom of crappy games based on movies. Thanks E.T., you crushed my childhood & gave me a reason to go outside to play in traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment